Is a Medical Exam Required To Receive a Life Insurance Quote?
Many people believe that in order to get an accurate rate quote that a medical exam is required and that is simply not true. Your quote is based off of the information that you provide in the online quote submission form where you provide basic information about yourself, or it is based off of the information that you provide to our agents when calling us.
Do The Insurance Companies You Represent Require a Medical Exam?
What Does The Medical Examination Consist Of?
In general, the medical exam will consist of the following:
The medical exam is very similar to what you would experience visiting your regular physician’s office for an annual exam. The exam usually takes around 30 minutes to complete. These exams can vary from company to company, but this is a general outline of what to expect. Additional test results or medical records may be requested from your attending physician by the insurance company you are applying with.
How Should I Prepare For The Examination?
For the most favorable results from your life insurance medical exam, it is recommended to do following:
- Undressing is not required; however, please wear a short-sleeved garment or one with sleeves that easily roll up.
- Try to fast for at least eight hours before your exam (12 hours is preferred). You may drink water.
- The best time to do your exam is in the morning. If a weekday is not convenient, check with your examiner to see if you can arrange an appointment for Saturday or Sunday.
- Drink a glass of water an hour or so before the exam to facilitate obtaining a urine specimen.
- Avoid coffee, soda, tea or other products with caffeine for several hours before the exam.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco for at least one hour prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours prior to the exam.
- Avoid nasal decongestants.
- If you require a large blood pressure cuff, let the examiner know prior to the appointment.
- Get a good night's rest before the medical exam.
- Schedule the appointment for the least stressful time of the day.
- Have your photo identification available.
- Do not engage in strenuous exercise for 24 hours before the exam.
- Prepare in advance for questions regarding medical conditions, surgeries, medications, or other treatments you may have had. The examiner will also ask you for the names and addresses of physicians and/or hospitals that have treated you.
This is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult with your physician before making any changes in diet, medication use, or habit. Your medical exam professional may provide you with guidelines that differ from these; please follow those guidelines if they differ from the ones provided here.
to download our helpful exam prep list.
to begin your life insurance quote inquiry and take the next step in protecting you and your family's financial future.